Friday, February 7, 2014

Along Came a Spider

I came across this blurb that I wrote yesterday, and thought it was great!  Thought I'd share:

During the last few weeks, I’ve noticed that I’ve been coming across a good number of spiders.  Weird. I know.  It all started during my meditation a few weeks back.  Just after dawn, I went to the garden at the Washington National Cathedral with a close friend, looking forward to beginning my day with a peaceful meditation.  As we walked through the garden, my friend pointed out a spider perched neatly in her web appearing as though she was waiting, observing or studying even.  The spider was very still and focused, so still in fact that I had to look twice to actually see her.  In her web, in the garden, she was beautiful and perfect.  While in the garden that day, I saw quite a few spiders crawling about, weaving their webs, wrapping their prey, carrying their eggs.  They were all very busy and intent upon their tasks, and they all possessed a graceful regality that could not go unnoticed.

Later that same week, while visiting my parents, I saw another spider, this one very small, but sturdy
and strong looking, crawling on my parent’s storm door.  I observed it for a while, but didn’t pay it as
much attention as I did the others I encountered as I was distracted by the conversation with my family.  The spider stayed there on the door the whole time I visited and chatted with my parents on the front porch.  I actively avoided this one.  It was just a little too close in proximity for me, a self-proclaimed arachnophobe, unlike the ones in the garden.

A few days after visiting with my parents, I went to the grocery store with my family.  After shopping, we came out to the car and a large burgundy-hued spider was dangling from the car spinning a large, elaborate web a la the film, Charlotte’s Web.  The web was so large it extended from the rear wiper blade to the bumper of the car.  It was so detailed and extensive, I was certain that I would be able to find words written in it like “radiant” or “some pig” even, but alas, no words.  I guess only Charlotte can do that which, I must admit, was a little disappointing.   Over the next couple of weeks, I was noticing spiders so often, I was beginning to understand how Little Miss Muffet must have felt.  Spiders were literally showing up EVERYWHERE—in my office, at home, on my car, even in my dreams.  One night, I dreamed that I pulled a spider out of my son’s mouth.  Yikes!  (Eyebrow raise.  Sigh.) This was beginning to be all too much for me to bear!

Spiders were showing up so frequently, that I decided that this couldn’t possibly be a coincidence and
there must be a greater meaning to the spider’s frequent (and somewhat uncomfortable) presence in
my life.  I had to consult Google.  I started off looking at pictures of spiders and really observing their
physical details.  I noticed their eight eyes and eight legs and considered the representation of
beginnings I knew to be associated with the number.  I also considered the fact that when the
number 8 is turned on its side, it becomes the symbol for infinity, which, to me, represents never-ending time, potential and opportunity for evolution and refinement.  The spider became even more interesting to me, and I decided to search for the metaphysical significance of the spider online.  I found tons of information about the significance of not only spiders, but also of other animals and insects.

Regarding the spider, I found that it represents mystery, power and growth.  The spider’s innate ability to weave its multipurpose web (which serves as the spider’s home, food storage, egg incubator, and more) represents mankind’s ability to weave or create its own lives through our choices.  A spider’s presence is a reminder that we should be mindful of our decisions and consider how our choices affect us in all aspects of our lives.  We should ask ourselves, “How can my choices improve my life?” and “How are my choices impacting others?”  The spider’s ability to shape and manipulate her web represents our ability to use our minds to shape our thoughts in a way that is constructive to our being. We have the ability to design a life for ourselves, just as a spider designs her web, through the power of our thoughts and actions.  Additionally, the spider does all of its work with limited attachment to its web despite the fact that the web serves so many integral purposes for it.  In one swoop, a spider’s web can be destroyed, but never does a spider dismay.  Completely detached from any outcomes or expectations for the way things should happen, the spider carries on, embracing the mystery of each moment, fully aware and confident that all will be well, and completely reconstructs its web with the same diligence and commitment as it had with the previous web.  In contrast, we often become discouraged when one plan doesn’t pan out, and we’ll half-heartedly pursue an alternative plan.  Such half-hearted attempts are destined to be unsuccessful, and we tend to become disappointed again and again, repeating a viciously disheartening cycle.

The spider teaches a marvelous lesson.  Our lives are webs woven from our decisions, thoughts and
actions.  If we choose to view those decisions, thoughts and actions as tools, we can learn how to
effectively utilize them to construct a life that we can enjoy and be proud of.  Now when I see a spider, instead of running, screaming or jumping into a chair, I smile and take that moment to consider what efforts in my life can be enhanced in order to see what I desire come to fruition. Seeing that all that I encounter in my life offers me a lesson, I’m no longer as fearful of spiders as before.   Nonetheless, I have to admit, while I appreciate their presence and their message, I still keep my distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment